Michael's CELTA Experience
What are CELTA classes like?
What will I learn?
How will I be assessed?
What is the teaching practice like?
Cambridge English Language Assessment is offering CELTA candidates 12 months free access to Cambridge English Teacher.
ICTE-UQ CELTA candidates will receive access to this online professional development resource bank and network with their pre-course task.
The ICTE-UQ CELTA is a highly practical, hands-on training course designed to give you skills to:
- Understand and use current English language teaching methodology, techniques and learning activities
- Select, adapt and develop your own teaching and learning materials
- Plan and deliver interactive and engaging English language lessons
- Manage a classroom
- Assess and evaluate students’ individual English language skills and their learning process
- Workshops and small group-work activities
- Practical teaching demonstrations
- Observation of experienced teachers
- Supervised practice teaching sessions with real English language learners (6 assessed hours)
- A minimum of 80 hours reading, assignment writing and lesson preparation
No previous teaching experience is required, however, applicants should:
- Have a high standard of competence in both written and spoken English
- Be at least 20 years old (18 & 19 year olds may be accepted at the Institute’s discretion)
- Have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education, although applicants with no formal qualifications will also be considered
Full-time 4-week CELTA
Sample Hours: 9.30am - 5.45pm (Monday - Thursday) and 9.30am - 6.30pm (Friday)
- Monday 25 August - Friday 19 September 2014
- Friday 9 January - Friday 6 February 2015
- Monday 13 April - Friday 8 May 2015
- Monday 24 August - Friday 18 September 2015
Part-time 12-week CELTA
Sample Hours: 5.00pm - 9.00pm (Tuesday and Thursday) and 9.00am - 4.00pm (6 Saturdays). Candidates will also be required to attend approximately two-four hours observation of experienced English language teachers. Observation is typically scheduled to take place between the hours of 9.00am - 3.30pm (Monday - Thursday) and/or 9.00am - 1.00pm (Friday)
- Tuesday 23 September - Thursday 11 December 2014
(Classes will be held on the following Saturdays: 27 September, 4 October, 18 October, 25 October, 15 November and 22 November 2014)
- Tuesday 22 September - Thursday 10 December 2015
(Classes will be held on the following Saturdays: 26 September, 3 October, 17 October, 24 October, 15 November and 21 November 2015)
2014: AUD$ 2,995 plus required books and moderation fee (£125 - paid in the Australian dollar equivalent at the time of payment).
Assessment is continuous throughout the course and integrated into all course components. It is based primarily on lesson planning and classroom teaching, with trainer evaluations, and a series of four classroom-based, written assignments.
Understanding English Grammar is a one-week part-time course designed to provide participants with an introduction to English grammar and phonology. This short course is ideal preparation for (or capstone to) CELTA certification.
Suggested CELTA Course Materials
- Swan, Michael (2005) Practical English Usage, 3rd Edition, OUP
- Parrott, Martin (2000) Grammar for English Language Teachers (with exercises & key), CUP
- Harmer, Jeremy (2007) The Practice of English Language Teaching, 4th Edition, Longman
Access to an Advanced Learners’ English Dictionary will also be useful – partial access is available free online:
On CELTA courses at ICTE-UQ participants are expected to assume a range of professional behaviours and responsibilities as part of their training. These behaviours and responsibilities form part of the CELTA assessment criteria.
The full ICTE-UQ CELTA Code of Conduct, including grievance resolution process is available here.