Michael's CELTA Experience
CELTA January 2016 course - Application Process
The ICTE-UQ CELTA course in January 2016 is fully subscribed and due to high demand ICTE-UQ will open additional places. More information on the CELTA January 2016 course - Application Process is available under Course Information.
The CELTA Advantage
The Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA) is awarded by Cambridge English Language Assessment, part of the University of Cambridge in the UK.
CELTA is internationally recognised and one of the most widely taken courses of its kind. Each year, over 10,000 people choose CELTA to open up a world of exciting English language teaching opportunities.
CELTA is a NEAS Premium Endorsed Product.
CELTA is offered at ICTE-UQ in Brisbane as a full-time (4-week) and a part-time (12-week) course.
CELTA Information Evenings
ICTE-UQ CELTA information evenings are an ideal opportunity for interested applicants to meet with CELTA trainers and to learn more about the course.
Upcoming information evenings
What are CELTA classes like?
What will I learn?
How will I be assessed?
What is the teaching practice like?
Cambridge English Language Assessment is offering CELTA candidates 12 months free access to Cambridge English Teacher.
ICTE-UQ CELTA candidates will receive access to this online professional development resource bank and network with their pre-course task.
- Applications for CELTA January 2016 must be received before 8.00am Monday 30 November 2015 for review by the ICTE-UQ teacher training team.
- Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by phone or by email before Friday 4 December 2015.
- Successful applicants at Stage 1 will be invited to a face-to-face group interview at UQ, on Monday 7 December 2015, either 9.30-12.30pm or 1.30-4.30pm. Applicants must be available to attend one of these interview times.
- Applicants will be informed of the outcome of Stage 2 of the interview before COB Thursday 10 December.
- To secure a place on the course, successful applicants (after their interview), must pay the $350 non-refundable deposit before 5pm Friday 11 December 2015. The balance of fees will be due in full before 4pm Monday 14 December 2015.
The ICTE-UQ CELTA is a highly practical, hands-on training course designed to give you skills to:
- Understand and use current English language teaching methodology, techniques and learning activities
- Select, adapt and develop your own teaching and learning materials
- Plan and deliver interactive and engaging English language lessons
- Manage a classroom
- Assess and evaluate students’ individual English language skills and their learning process
- Workshops and small group-work activities
- Practical teaching demonstrations
- Observation of experienced teachers
- Supervised practice teaching sessions with real English language learners (6 assessed hours)
- A minimum of 80 hours reading, assignment writing and lesson preparation
No previous teaching experience is required, however, applicants should:
- Have a high standard of competence in both written and spoken English
- Be at least 20 years old (18 & 19 year olds may be accepted at the Institute’s discretion)
- Have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education, although applicants with no formal qualifications will also be considered
Full-time 4-week CELTA
Sample Hours: 9.30am - 5.45pm (Monday - Thursday) and 9.30am - 6.30pm (Friday)
- Friday 8 January - Friday 5 February 2016
- Friday 1 April - Friday 29 April 2016
- Monday 29 August - Friday 23 September 2016
Part-time 12-week CELTA
Sample Hours: 5.00pm - 9.00pm (Tuesday and Thursday) and 8.00am - 4.00pm (six Saturdays). Candidates will also be required to attend approximately two-four hours observation of experienced English language teachers. Observation is typically scheduled to take place Monday - Friday in the morning or sometimes in the afternoon if suitable classes are available.
- Tuesday 27 September - Thursday 15 December 2016
2016: AUD$ 3,100 plus required books and moderation fee (£125 - paid in the Australian dollar equivalent at the time of payment).
Assessment is continuous throughout the course and integrated into all course components. It is based primarily on lesson planning and classroom teaching, with trainer evaluations, and a series of four classroom-based, written assignments.
Understanding English Grammar is a one-week part-time course designed to provide participants with an introduction to English grammar and phonology. This short course is ideal preparation for (or capstone to) CELTA certification.
Suggested CELTA Course Materials
- Swan, Michael (2005) Practical English Usage, 3rd Edition, OUP
- Parrott, Martin (2000) Grammar for English Language Teachers (with exercises & key), CUP
- Harmer, Jeremy (2007) The Practice of English Language Teaching, 4th Edition, Longman
Access to an Advanced Learners’ English Dictionary will also be useful – partial access is available free online:
On CELTA courses at ICTE-UQ participants are expected to assume a range of professional behaviours and responsibilities as part of their training. These behaviours and responsibilities form part of the CELTA assessment criteria.
The full ICTE-UQ CELTA Code of Conduct, including grievance resolution process is available here.