English for Academic Purposes
COURSESFull-time English Courses
English for Academic Purposes (EAP) is offered at two levels and is designed to prepare students for success in academic study and in the IELTS test. Students must meet course entry requirements to apply.
- Apply a range of reading skills in order to understand and make notes on a variety of written texts
- Express facts, ideas and opinions in writing, using correct and appropriate vocabulary, grammatical structures and other features of academic writing
- Use a range of study skills (including research skills) in order to gather and combine information and ideas from different sources.
- Understand spoken English in conversations, discussions and lectures and to take notes
- Speak clearly and confidently
- Apply the skills and language studied to the IELTS test
- Academic Reading & Writing
A variety of texts are used to develop reading and note taking skills. Written work develops students’ abilities to construct complex sentences, paragraphs and essays. EAP II students use computer labs for researching and writing an extended assignment.
- IELTS Preparation
Practise in all areas of the IELTS test, including test-taking strategies and timed practice.
Students watch and discuss documentary-style programs to develop listening comprehension skills and improve vocabulary. Group discussions about these programs also develop speaking skills in group situations.
- Formal Talks (speaking skills)
Practise in organising, writing and delivering a spoken presentation.
- Listening & Notetaking
A live or videotaped lecture to give students a large class university experience.
Assessment & Certification
|EAP I||Higher Intermediate (CEFR B2.2)|
|EAP II||Advanced (CEFR C1)|
|EAP I||IELTS: 5.0 (no sub-bandscore less than 5.0)
TOEFL iBT: 56 (Speaking: 15; Listening and Reading: 12; Writing: 17)
TOEFL PBT: 500 (Listening: 47; Reading: 46; Writing: 55/4)
PTE: 42 (no score less than 42)
or completion of ICTE-UQ GE Level 5 with a pass in each macro skill*
|EAP II||IELTS: 5.5 (no sub-bandscore less than 5.5)
TOEFL iBT: 70 (Speaking, Listening, and Reading: 17; Writing: 19)
TOEFL PBT: 530 (Listening: 52; Reading: 52; Writing: 57/4)
PTE: 49 (no score less than 49)
or completion of ICTE-UQ EAP I or GE Level 6 with a pass in each macro skill*
|* or equivalent as determined by ICTE-UQ. All students are tested on their first day at ICTE-UQ to determine their course and class level.|
|Duration||5, 10, 20, 30 weeks (students usually spend 10 weeks at each course level)|
|Tuition||20 hours face-to-face classes and five hours of SKILL-UP directed self-access learning each week|